WHO IS A PROPHET?
A prophet is a person who can predict events, see into the unseen, unravel mysteries and display their supernatural gifts. Though the above describes who a prophet is, there is much more to a prophet than just the ability to do the above otherwise, magicians, fortune tellers and the like would all qualify to be prophets.
The gift of prophecy has been abused in the church today. It has been used to rob men and women of God, sleep with them in the name of “holy” sex as well as separate families
So the question remains, how can I tell one is really a prophet?
1. A prophet of God accurately predicts and communicates past events and those to come.
2. A true prophet of God will receive visions and dreams from the Lord.
3. A true prophet NEVER gives his private interpretation of Scripture but rather depends on God to reveal Scripture to him.
4. A true prophet only prophecies in the name of the Lord. He only seeks to glorify the Lord and not himself.
“..For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost…”
5. A true prophet will look to edify, comfort and uplift the Church by their testimony as well as exhort them. Every word, action by the prophet is to enlighten and strengthen the church.
6. A true prophet shall show good works and have identifiable fruits of the Spirit of God. He/ she walks and acts according to the word of God and not following their own desires and will. [matt 7:15-20]
7. Performing miracles proves nothing. It is not the miracles, signs and wonders that prove one is a true prophet for those led by these things are easily misled as its stated in Matt 24:24-25
“..For there shall arise false Christ’s, false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; in so much that, if it were possible, they shall receive the very elect. Behold, I have told you before…”
8. Prophecy is a calling upon men and women of God. Not everyone is meant to be a prophet. God has ordained those He has predestined to be prophets.
Characteristics of true prophets
1. They never advertise themselves. As servants of God, they are serving the living God and doing the work of the kingdom. God advertises them.
2. The word from them is never reversed. A word from the mouth of a true prophet is a word from the mouth of God and is irreversible.
3. A true prophet is uncompromising with sin. As a servant of God, a true prophets detests sin and is uncompromising because God does not dwell in sin